About the Chamber
About the Chamber
The Talbot County Chamber of Commerce is the voice of business for more than 600 members representing several thousand employees. The purpose of the Chamber is to promote, protect and preserve the free enterprise system of business and to advance the commercial, industrial, civic and general interests of the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Talbot County and its trading area. We work to achieve a better understanding and appreciation of the importance of business, business people, and concern for their issues. The Chamber encourages business and community growth and planned development by promoting economic programs designed to strengthen and expand income potential of business within our trading area.
In order to achieve these objectives, the Chamber maintains and distributes business and civic information; participates in the consideration of local, state and national issues of concern to our membership; and builds partnerships with government, education and other organizations that impact our members ability to do business.
Networking is the most basic of Chamber benefits. You can meet decision makers from across the region at our annual programs, events, and meetings. Chamber members have exclusive opportunities to spread the word about their business through sponsorships, advertising, and free news releases in the Chamber e-newsletter and Tradewinds directory.
The Chamber leadership team is guided by a philosophy of meeting the needs of our members, first and foremost. I invite you to contact me to learn more about the programs and services we offer.
President & CEO
Did You Know?
Skipjacks on the Chesapeake are among the 11 most endangered “places” in the nation as recognized by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. At one time, more than 1500 skipjacks dredged oysters on the Bay, and approximately 12 still do today. To manage maintenance costs, a number of skipjack owners deploy their vessels for charters and tours in the warm months. (Carlyle International PR March 31, 2012)
The Skipjack Rebecca T Ruark, the oldest Skipjack on the Bay, is at Dogwood harbor. The “Rebecca” has a schedule of cruises throughout the year.
The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum is the perfect place to see log canoes and other wooden boats that played such a vital role in the life on the Bay. There is always a vessel under construction in the Boat Building Shed.
Additionally, their “Oystering on the Chesapeake” exhibit relates the oystering history of the area and showcases samples of oyster plates, some that demonstrate a time when local oysters were the size of a small dessert plate. (Carlyle International PR March 31, 2012)
Perry Hall, located at the Calhoun MEBA Engineering School campus in St. Michaels, was once home to a family with two daughters who became the sole owners of the estate. During a storm, the ladies were trying to batten down the hatches when lightning struck a grandfather clock and dozens of gold coins spilled from the clock in an endless sparkling stream. (Carlyle International PR March 31, 2012)
When Poplar Island was a living community, a gentleman entrepreneur proposed to earn a fortune by raising black cats and selling their pelts to make coats and arm-rest covers. Fortunately for the cats, after he gathered a large herd, the river froze and they all escaped by simply walking across the river to freedom. (Carlyle International PR March 31, 2012)
Archaeological studies are ongoing in Easton to investigate the theory that “The Hill” is the oldest African American community in the nation. The Hill was first settled prior to 1790 as a neighborhood comprising free blacks and slaves. (Carlyle International PR March 31, 2012)
In 1868 a special police force called the “Maryland Oyster Navy” was formed to bring law and order to the oyster wars in the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River. Although plentiful, oysters were so highly valued and in such demand that they were considered like gold. (Carlyle International PR March 31, 2012)
Spanning over 300 years, Michener’s Chesapeake follows the lives and fortunes of four families who both shaped and were shaped by the Eastern Shore. The original manuscript for the novel is kept at the Talbot County Free Library. Michener wrote the original outline for the novel in the tavern of the Robert Morris Inn.
St. Michaels actually was bombarded one early morning during the War of 1812. But the wily locals hung lanterns in the trees, so the British aimed too high and mostly missed the buildings. Only the Cannonball House on Green Street was hit.
Oxford Bellevue Ferry – America’s oldest privately owned ferry, established 1683
Talbot County Air quality = 85, on a scale of 1 – 100
212 sunny days per year (average)
Talbot County has 602 miles of shoreline
Talbot County has 49 rivers, streams and bays
Freshwater fishing: shad, perch, catfish, striped bass, trout, bluegill, carp, bluefish, drum, croaker, black drum, mackerel; fly fishing trout on the Miles and Choptank Rivers
Talbot County has 178.5 miles of bike trails, including one of the top 25 routes in the USA
April 25, 1662 – our official birthday